What Affects Efficient Drying in Raleigh Homes with Water Damage?
SERVPRO Technicians are Trained in the Science of Drying and How it Impacts Raleigh Homes with Water Intrusions
The city of Raleigh, NC, is a beautiful place. Named after Sir Walter Raleigh, the heart of the city is lined with oak trees. This gives the town its nickname of “City of Oaks.” As one of the fastest-growing cities across the United States, homeownership is expanding. Whether the home is a new one or an older residence, there is one thing they all have in common. A water intrusion incident can happen at any time. Calling in a water restoration company is the best thing homeowners can do at that point.
What Factors Are Taken into Consideration When Evaluating Drying?
Understanding the elements necessary for efficient drying in a home needing water damage mitigation in Raleigh is vital. At SERVPRO, our Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) technicians undergo extensive training that provides them with the required knowledge. Not only do they have the knowledge and tools to get the job done, but the experience to determine the best course of action.
When the water extraction begins and continues through with the drying process, several main factors get continually monitored. There is a delicate balance in finding the optimal drying situation. These elements include:
• Airflow – In a property with water damage, airflow is a critical component in the drying process. Our technicians understand the ingress and egress of air in drying zones and can use the proper air movers to enhance the process.
• Temperature – The temperature in an area always tries to find a balance with the surrounding areas. The right temperature allows for proper drying and evaporation. If it is too hot, it can cause problems with the drying process. Not warm enough, and drying gets delayed.
• Humidity – How much moisture is present is a critical factor as well. The drying process is slowed if there is excessive moisture in the air. Dehumidifiers are essential in reducing humidity levels.
• By understanding how these three critical elements work together, our technicians can apply a balanced approach for speed and accuracy.
Can the Conditions be Altered to Improve Drying?
SERVPRO technicians have the know-how to read the data provided by moisture meters and other equipment to determine interior conditions. If needed, those conditions can be changed to ensure the right drying environment. One of the ways this can be manipulated is through temperature changes. Changing the temperature inside the drying zone promotes evaporation as warm air flows through moist materials.
Humidity is another aspect of drying that gets continually monitored. Controlling the moisture in the home can also prevent it from migrating to other unaffected areas. Air movers are used to generate airflow that promotes drying and helps bring the correct equilibrium into the atmosphere.
Is Every Home the Same When it Comes to Airflow?
One thing SERVPRO technicians learn immediately when providing water damage mitigation is every home and situation is different. There are essential factors involved in the process, such as water extraction, drying, and reconstruction. But how those goals are achieved can vary. Airflow provides a crucial element in finding the right ratio to achieve restoration. Things like the home itself, weather, and building materials can affect airflow. Here are some ways airflow has an impact on drying:
• Equilibrium – The air attempts to balance out with surrounding air. This even condition comes about through infiltration and exfiltration.
• Infiltration – This happens when air moves into a drying space. It can be from another part of the home which has not been affected or from outside the building.
• Exfiltration – This means moving air from the damp location to the outside or areas in the home without water damage.
Modifying any of the elements involved with efficient drying is a skill that SERVPRO technicians use regularly. The goal is productive drying through a balanced approach. The faster your home is dried, the less secondary damage there is. It also lessens the need for tear-out and extensive recondition. SERVPRO’s goal is always to repair rather than replace, and our technicians work hard to achieve that goal. We have years of experience in understanding the role environment and airflow play in water damage mitigation. You can trust that our Green Team does everything possible to restore your home to preloss condition and leave it “Like it never even happened.”
Professional Intervention Fast
For professional water extraction and cleanup, call the company that is available 24/7 to help. We know disasters, even small ones, can impact your life in a big way. That is why we arrive as quickly as possible and perform a scope of the scene. With this information, the project manager puts a restoration plan in place, and the technicians follow through with the plan.
Contact SERVPRO of Southeast Raleigh / Garner at (919) 615-1179 for professional water damage mitigation. We’re Faster to Any Size Disaster!